Did you know that over 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning related to home fuel burning and heating equipment?  Sadly, CO is easily detectable, yet most people don’t have proper equipment or knowledge of what it is and how to protect themselves and loved ones.  Read on to learn more about CO: The Silent Killer.

So, what exactly is CO?  Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is created when any fuel isn’t completely burned off properly. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea, poor/labored breathing and eventually death if left abated.   

Where does CO come from around the home?  Carbon monoxide can leak from faulty furnaces or fuel-fired heaters or can be trapped inside by a blocked chimney or flue. Burning charcoal inside the house or running an automobile engine in your garage also will produce carbon monoxide in the home.  There is also the fear of portable generators and space heaters to think about when thinking about prevention.

Why is CO a big deal to worry about now?  CO deaths are especially prevalent in the late fall and winter months as families, apartments, and condominiums start turning their heating systems on for the first time as temperatures start to drop. Proper fall maintenance of your heating equipment is key to preventing CO incidents from occurring.   Have your heating system checked by a licensed professional once per year. 

So, how do I determine if I have dangerous levels of CO in my house?  You can easily install CO detectors around your home to protect your loved ones.  Most quality units cost under $75.00 and newer models come with a 10-year installed battery that only needs to be checked by push button a few times a year.  At minimum install one outside of the main sleeping area on each floor of the house. Check out this chart to see fully where CO detectors, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers are recommended to be installed around the home.

So, where can I get quality CO detectors for my home?   Our partner retail location, The Store at City Fire, sells a 10-year sealed battery CO Detector for $45 + tax.  They are located at 733 Ridgedale Ave in East Hanover, NJ.  Stop in between 8am and 4pm any Monday to Friday to pick one up and ask questions of our knowledgeable store associates about fire safety for your home.   You can also call 973-560-1600 to speak with a store associate live.